Dr. Mohammad Jakir Hosen
Designation: Professor; Academic Institution: SUST, Sylhet
Research Field: Medical Genetics, Plant Pathology
Research Interest: Genetic Diseases, Plant Parasitic Nematode
Email: email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org
Professor, Department of Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology, Shahjalal University of Science and Technology, Sylhet-3114, Bangladesh.
Dr. Mohammad Jakir Hosen is serving as a Professor in the Department of Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology (SUST), Sylhet-3114, Bangladesh. In 2015, he completed his “PhD in Medical Sciences (Medical Genetics)” from Ghent University, Belgium. In 2010, he obtained “European Masters of Science in Nematology” degree with great distinction from Ghent University, Belgium. In 2004, he graduated in “Biotechnology and Genetic Engineering” from Khulna University, Bangladesh. During his PhD study Dr. Hosen also obtained Certificate in Laboratory Animal Science (Federation for European Laboratory Animal Science Assocations; FELASA-C). Beside that, he also participated EDIT (European Distributed Institute of Taxonomy) Summer School 2009 grant by the European Union, “From field to Web- studying biodiversity with the taxonomists toolbox”, Muranska Planina National Park, Slovakia. Primary research interests of Dr. Hosen is on Medical Genetics and Public Health issues of Bangladesh, especially molecular screening and elucidation of the molecular patho-mechanism of different genetic diseases. He is the author or co-author of 25 peer-reviewed papers in national and international journals. He is also a reviewer for many national and international journals. He is a member of the Belgian Society of Human Genetics, Belgium Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, American Society of Microbiology, PXE International, and the Bangladesh Association of Biotechnology Graduates.
Awards and scholarship
- Bangladesh Academy of Science (BAS) – The World Academy of Science (TWAS, Italy) Young Scientist Award-2018.
- PhD Studentship, Department of Pediatrics and Medical Genetics, Ghent University, Belgium for the years 2010-2014.
- Erasmus Mundus Scholarship by European Commission for 2 years European Masters in Nematology (EUMAINE) for 2008-2010.
- EDIT (European Distributed Institute of Taxonomy) Summer School 2009, funded by the European Union, “From field to Web- studying biodiversity with the taxonomists toolbox”, Muranska Planina National Park, Slovakia.
- Sweden-Bangladesh Trust Fund travel grant for the academic session 2009-2010.
- Young Investigator Award: 12th International Congress of Human Genetics-2011, Montreal, Canada.
- De Vilder EYG, Cardoen S, Mohammad Jakir Hosen, Le Saux O, De Zaeytijd , Leroy BP, De Reuck J, Couck PJ, De Paepe A, Hemelsoet D, Vanakker OM. Pathogenic variants in the ABCC6 gene are associated with an increased risk for ischemic stroke. Brain Pathology. 2018 May. PMID: 29722917.
- Al Mamun MA, Mohammad Jakir Hosen, Khatun A, Alam MM, Al-Bari MMA. Tridax procumbens flavonoids: a prospective bioactive compound increased osteoblast differentiation and trabecular bone formation. Biol Res. 2017, 50(1):28.
- Md. Nazmul Hasan, Mohammad Jakir Hosen, Prasoon Thakur, Ruhshan Ahmed Abir, Abdullah Zubaer, Guo Renkai, Mayumi Yoshida, Hiroto Ohta, Jae Man Lee, Takahiro Kusakabe, Akinori Hirashima. An integrated in vitro and in silico studies for inhibitors of recombinant Drosophila melanogaster. International Journal of Biological Macromolecule 2016, S0141-8130 (16) 30562-1.
- Al Mamun MA, Mohammad Jakir Hosen, Islam K, Khatun A, Alam MM, Al-Bari MA. Tridax procumbens flavonoids promote osteoblast differentiation and bone formation. Biological Research 2015, 48: 1-8.
- De Vilder EY, Mohammad Jakir Hosen, Vanakker Olivier. The ABCC6 Transporter as a paradigm for Networking from an orphan disease to complex disorder. Biomedical Research International 2015, 2015: 648569.
- Mohammad Jakir Hosen, Filip Van Nieuwerburgh, Dieter Deforce, Ludovic Martin, Georges Leftheriotis, Anne De Paepe, Paul Coucke, Olivier Vanakker. Efficiency of exome sequencing for the molecular diagnosis of Pseudoxanthoma elasticum. Journal of Investigative Dermatology 2015, 135: 992-8.
- M. Etienne, Mohammad Jakir Hosen, G. Leftheriotis, J. M. Ebran, E. De Maistre, O. Vanakker, L. Martin. Pseudoxanthome Elastique associe a un digenisme ABCC6/GGCX. Annales de Dermatologie at de Venereologie 2014, 141: S368.
- Mohammad Jakir Hosen, Abdullah Zubaer, Simrika Thapa, Bijendra Khadka, Anne De Paepe, Olivier Vanakker. Molecular docking simulations provide insights in the substrate binding sites and possible substrate of the ABCC6 transporter. PLoS One 2014, 9: e102779.
- Mohammad Jakir Hosen, Paul Coucke, Olivier Le Saux, Anne De Paepe, Olivier Vanakker. Perturbation of specific pro-mineralizing signalling pathways in human and murine pseudoxanthoma elasticum. Orphanet Journal of Rare Disease 2014, 9: 66.
- Ariana Kariminejad, Bita Bozorgmehr, Abdolhamid Najafi, Abdolhamid Khoshaeen, Maryam Ghalandari, Hossein Njmabadi, Hasan Kariminejad, Olivier Vanakker, Mohammad Jakir Hosen, Fransiska Malfiat, Daniela Quaglino, Ralph Florijn, Arthur Bergen, Raoul Hennekam. Retinis Pigmentosa, Cutis Laxa and Pseudoxanthoma Elasticum-Like Skin Manifestations Associated with GGCX Mutations. Journal of Investigative Dermatology. 2014, 134: 2331-8.
- Aexander Janssen*, Mohammad Jakir Hosen*, Philippe Jeannin, Paul Coucke, Anne De Paepe, Olivier Vanakker. Second family with the Boston-type craniosynostosis syndrome: novel mutation and expansion of the clinical spectrum. *Shared first author. American Journal of Medical Genetics A 2013, 161: 2352-2357.
- Mohammad Jakir Hosen, Anouck Lamoen, Anne De Paepe, Olivier Vanakker. Histopathology of pseudoxanthoma elasticum and related disorders: histological hallmarks and diagnostic clues. Scientifica (Cairo) 2012, 2012: 598262.
- Mohammad Jakir Hosen, Olivier Vanakker, Andy Willaert, Ann Huysseune, Paul Coucke, Anne De Paepe. Zebrafish models for ectopic mineralization disorders: practical issues from morpholino design to post-injection observations. Frontiers in Genetics 2013, 4: 74.
- Olivier Vanakker, Mohammad Jakir Hosen, Anne De Paepe. The ABCC6 transporter: what lessons can be learnt from other ATP-binding cassette transporters? Frontiers in Genetics 2013, 4: 203.
- Mohammad Jakir Hosen, Dilara Islam Sarif, Md. Masuder Rahman, Md. Abul Klalam Azad. Contaminaton of coliforms in different paper currency notes of Bangladesh. Pakistan Journal of Biological Science 2006, 9: 868-870.
- Mohammad Jakir Hosen, Mohammod Hossain, Joey G. Martinez, Nnette H. Sumaya, Yuanyun Mei, Shrinkhala Manandhar, Giovanni dos Santos and Tom Moens. Effect of bacterivorous and predatory nematodes on macroalgal detritus decomposition. Proceedings of the Pakistan Academy of Sciences 2011, 48: 137-142.