Assistant Professor, Department of Computer Science, University of Toronto, Canada
Dr. Syed Ishtiaque Ahmed is an Assistant Professor of Computer Science at University of Toronto. He leads the “Third Space” research group there. He conducts research in the intersection between Human-Computer Interaction (HCI) and Information and Communication Technology and Development (ICTD). He received his PhD from Cornell University in 2018. His PhD research focused on the design challenges around ‘voice’ which he defines through access, autonomy, and accountability. Dr. Ahmed received the prestigious International Fulbright Science and Technology Fellowship in 2011. He also received Intel Science and Technology Center for Social Computing graduate fellowship in 2015. In 2018, he has been awarded the Connaught Early Researcher Award from the University of Toronto. He has also received multiple awards for his publications including a Best Paper awards in ACM CHI and ICTD. Dr. Ahmed’s work has been supported by various national and international organizations including the National Science Foundation (NSF) of USA, National Institute of Health (NIH) of USA, Intel, Microsoft Research, IBM Research, Samsung Research, the World Bank, and National Institute of Mental Health of Bangladesh. His current research is being supported by Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC) of Canada, and Canada Foundation for Innovation (CFI).
- Electronic waste management in Bangladesh.
- Computer privacy and security challenges.
- Digital technology for mental health support.
- Ahmed, Syed Ishtiaque, et al. “Protibadi: A platform for fighting sexual harassment in urban Bangladesh.” Proceedings of the SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems. ACM, 2014.
- Ahmed, Syed Ishtiaque, Nusrat Jahan Mim, and Steven J. Jackson. “Residual mobilities: infrastructural displacement and post-colonial computing in Bangladesh.” Proceedings of the 33rd Annual ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems. ACM, 2015. M. A. Basith, Ragib Ahsan, Ishrat Zerin, M A Jalil, Scientific Reports, 8:11090, 2018.