Dr. Hossain M. Zabed
Designation: Professor, School of Food & Biological Engineering,
Academic Institute: Jiangsu University, China.
Dr. Hossain M. Zabed is currently working as a professor at the School of Food & Biological Engineering, Jiangsu University, China. He received his B.Sc. (Hons.) and M.S. degrees in Microbiology from the University of Chittagong. He obtained his Ph.D. in Biotechnology (2016) from the University of Malaya, Malaysia. His research interest is the biological conversion of waste and biomass into green products (biofuels and commodity chemicals). Dr. Zabed has expertise in synthetic biology, metabolic engineering,
protein engineering, fermentation technology, and bioprocess engineering. Recently, his research group developed bioprocess technologies and cell factories for the biobased synthesis of 3-hdroxypropionic acid, 1,3-propanediol, D-arabitol, D-tagatose, xylitol, bioethanol, and biogas. He has established research collaborations with universities from different countries, including the USA, Finland, Sweden, Belgium, Australia, Saudi Arabia, and Pakistan. He has served as a guest editor or an editorial board member of six
international journals and worked as a reviewer for more than 50 journals. Dr. Zabed has professional membership with the American Society for Microbiology (ASM), Global Network of Bangladeshi Biotechnologists (GNOBB), International Consortium of Research Staff Associations (ICoRSA), and Microbiology Society.
1. Zhang, G., Zabed, H.M, An, Y., Yun, J., Huang, J., Zhang, Y., Li, X., Wang, J., Ravikumar, Y., Qi, X. Biocatalytic conversion of a lactose-rich dairy waste into D-tagatose, D-arabitol and galactitol using sequential whole cell and fermentation technologies. Bioresource Technology, 2022, 127422.
2. Zhang, Y., Zabed, H.M., Yun, J., Zhang, G., Wang, Y., Qi, X. Notable improvement of 3-hydroxypropionic acid and 1,3-propanediol co-production using modular co-culture engineering and pathway rebalancing. ACS Sustainable Chemistry and Engineering, 2021, 9(12), 4625–4637.
3. Zabed, H.M., Suely, A., Yun, J., Zhang, G., Zhang, Y., Qi, X. Biogas from microalgae: Technologies, challenges and opportunities. Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews, 2020, 117, 109503.
4. Zabed, H.M., Zhang, Y., Guo, Q., Yun, J., Yang, M., Qi, X. Co-biosynthesis of 3-hydroxypropionic acid and 1,3-propanediol by a newly isolated Lactobacillus reuteri strain during whole cell biotransformation of glycerol. Journal of Cleaner Production, 2019, 226, 432-442.
5. Zabed, H.M., Suely, A., Yun, J., Zhang, G., Awad, FN., Qi, X. Sahu, J.N. Recent advances in biological pretreatment of microalgae and lignocellulosic biomass for biofuel production. Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews 2019, 105, 105-28.