Dr. Md. Abdul Hannan
Name: Md. Abdul Hannan
Academic Institution: Bangladesh Agricultural University
Research Field: Neuropharmacology
Research Interest: Molecular biology, Network pharmacology, and Computational biology
Personal Website: https://bmb.bau.edu.bd/profile/BMB1010
Researchgate Profile: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Md-Abdul-Hannan-2
Dr. Md. Abdul Hannan is currently serving as a Professor in the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology at Bangladesh Agricultural University (BAU), Mymensingh. He was awarded DVM degree in 2004 and MS in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology in 2007 from BAU, and PhD from Pukyong National University of South Korea in 2013. During his PhD research, he developed a unique cellular model of primary neuronal culture in which he worked on neurotrophic activity of marine algae-derived molecules. During his Postdoctoral tenure (2018-2020) at Dongguk University College of Medicine in South Korea, he investigated neurotrophic activity of Bangladeshi medicinal herbs and their bioactive metabolites and obtained some outstanding results that have been published in reputed journals and are filed for patent. Meanwhile, Dr. Hannan has published a total of 72 research/review articles in reputed journals, including Ageing Research Reviews, Current Neuropharmacology, Antioxidants, Phytomedicine, Marine Drugs, IJMS, Neurochemistry International, Phytotherapy Research, Journal of Ethnopharmacology, Frontiers in Molecular Neuroscience and Frontiers in Pharmacology, etc. He acts as a guest editor and reviewer in several reputed journals under Elsevier, Wiley, Springer, Frontiers and MDPI. His research mainly focuses on: i) Neuropharmacology that exploits various tools, including cell biology, omics, computational and network biology to gain insights into molecular mechanisms underlying the neurotrophic and neuroprotective effects of various medicinal herbs and active metabolites, and ii) Network pharmacology that deciphers molecular mechanisms underlying health benefits of various traditional medicine. Along with supervising postgraduate students, he plays a key role as a research executive in ABEx Bio- Research Center (https://research.abexbio.com/) which nurtures growing scientists.
i) Visiting Research Professor (2018.10~2020.12) at Dongguk University College of Medicine, Korea
ii) Head/Chairman (2017.05~2018.09) at Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Bangladesh Agricultural University, Mymensingh, Bangladesh
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
Bangladesh Agricultural University
Awards and Recognition
- Best Poster Award 2020 in “60th Annual Meeting and International Symposium of Korean Society of Life Science” at the K-Hotel, Gyeongju, Republic of Korea.
- Best Poster Award 2019 in “59th Annual Meeting and International Symposium of Korean Society of Life Science” at Busan, BECXO, Korea
- Prof. Dr. Abdul Karim Memorial Prize 2010 for outstanding results in MS in Biochemistry at Bangladesh Agricultural University, Bangladesh Fellowships
- Korean Government Scholarship (KGSP) (2009.09~2013.08)
- Postdoctoral Fellowship (Korea Research Fellowship 2018.10~2020.12) at Dongguk University College of Medicine, Korea
1. Sohag, A. A. M.; Hossain, M. T.; Rahaman, M. A.; Rahman, P.; Hasan, M. S.; Das, R. C.; Khan, M. K.; Sikder, M. H.; Alam, M.; Uddin, M. J.; Rahman, M. H.; Tahjib-Ul-Arif, M.; Islam, T.; Moon, I. S.; Hannan, M. A., Molecular pharmacology and therapeutic advances of the pentacyclic triterpenelupeol. Phytomedicine 2022, 99. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.phymed.2022.154012.
2. Mitra, S., Dash, R., Sohel, M., Chowdhury, A., Munni, Y.A., Ali, M.C., Hannan, M.A., Islam, M.T. and Moon, I.S. Targeting estrogen signaling in the radiation-induced neurodegeneration: possible role of phytoestrogens. Current Neuropharmacology. 2022. 10.2174/1570159X20666220310115004
3. Hannan MA, Zahan MS, Sarker PP, Moni A, Ha H, Uddin MJ. Protective Effects of Black Cumin (Nigella sativa) and Its Bioactive Constituent, Thymoquinone against
Kidney Injury: An Aspect on Pharmacological Insights. International Journal of Molecular Sciences. 2021; 22(16):9078. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms22169078.
4. Hannan, M. A.; Rahman, M. A.; Sohag, A. A. M.; Uddin, M. J.; Dash, R.; Sikder, M. H.; Rahman, M. S.; Timalsina, B.; Munni, Y. A.; Sarker, P. P.; Alam, M.; Mohibbullah,
M.; Haque, M. N.; Jahan, I.; Hossain, M. T.; Afrin, T.; Rahman, M. M.; Tahjib-Ul-Arif, M.; Mitra, S.; Oktaviani, D. F.; Khan, M. K.; Choi, H. J.; Moon, I. S.; Kim, B., Black
Cumin (Nigella sativa L.): A Comprehensive Review on Phytochemistry, Health Benefits, Molecular Pharmacology, and Safety. Nutrients 2021, 13, (6), 1784.
5. Rahman, M. A.; Dash, R.; Sohag, A. A. M.; Alam, M.; Rhim, H.; Ha, H.; Moon, I. S.; Uddin, M. J.; Hannan, M. A., Prospects of Marine Sterols against Pathobiology of
Alzheimer's Disease: Pharmacological Insights and Technological Advances. Mar. Drugs 2021, 19, (3).
6. Haque, M. N.; Hannan, M. A.; Dash, R.; Choi, S. M.; Moon, I. S., The potential LXRβ agonist stigmasterol protects against hypoxia/reoxygenation injury by modulating
mitophagy in primary hippocampal neurons. Phytomedicine 2021, 81.
7. Hannan, M. A.; Haque, M. N.; Munni, Y. A.; Oktaviani, D. F.; Timalsina, B.; Dash, R.; Afrin, T.; Moon, I. S., Centella asiatica promotes early differentiation, axodendritic
maturation and synaptic formation in primary hippocampal neurons. Neurochemistry International 2021, 144.
8. Dash, R.; Ali, M. C.; Jahan, I.; Munni, Y. A.; Mitra, S.; Hannan, M. A.; Timalsina, B.; Oktaviani, D. F.; Choi, H. J.; Moon, I. S., Emerging potential of cannabidiol in reversing
proteinopathies. Ageing Res. Rev. 2021, 65.
9. Hannan, M. A.; Sohag, A. A. M.; Dash, R.; Haque, M. N.; Mohibbullah, M.; Oktaviani, D. F.; Hossain, M. T.; Choi, H. J.; Moon, I. S., Phytosterols of marine algae: Insights into
the potential health benefits and molecular pharmacology. Phytomedicine 2020, 69.
10. Hannan, M. A.; Rahman, M. A.; Rahman, M. S.; Sohag, A. A. M.; Dash, R.; Hossain, K. S.; Farjana, M.; Uddin, M. J., Intermittent fasting, a possible priming tool for host
defense against SARS-CoV-2 infection: Crosstalk among calorie restriction, autophagy and immune response. Immunol. Lett. 2020, 226, 38-45.
11. Hannan, M. A.; Haque, M. N.; Mohibbullah, M.; Dash, R.; Hong, Y. K.; Moon, I. S., Gelidium amansii attenuates hypoxia/reoxygenation-induced oxidative injury in primary
hippocampal neurons through suppressing GluN2B expression. Antioxidants 2020, 9, (3).
12. Hannan, M. A.; Dash, R.; Sohag, A. A. M.; Haque, M. N.; Moon, I. S., Neuroprotection Against Oxidative Stress: Phytochemicals Targeting TrkB Signaling and the Nrf2-ARE
Antioxidant System. Front. Mol. Neurosci. 2020, 13.
13. Hannan, M. A.; Dash, R.; Haque, M. N.; Mohibbullah, M.; Sohag, A. A. M.; Rahman, M. A.; Uddin, M. J.; Alam, M.; Moon, I. S., Neuroprotective Potentials of Marine Algae
and Their Bioactive Metabolites: Pharmacological Insights and Therapeutic Advances. Mar. Drugs 2020, 18, (7).
14. Hannan, M. A.; Dash, R.; Haque, M. N.; Choi, S. M.; Moon, I. S., Integrated system pharmacology and in silico analysis elucidating neuropharmacological actions of
withania somnifera in the treatment of alzheimer’s disease. CNS Neurol. Disord. Drug Targets 2020, 19, (7), 541-556.
15. Hannan, M. A.; Haque, M. N.; Dash, R.; Alam, M.; Moon, I. S., 3β, 6β-dichloro-5- hydroxy-5α-cholestane facilitates neuronal development through modulating TrkA
signaling regulated proteins in primary hippocampal neuron. Sci. Rep. 2019, 9, (1).
16. Hannan, M. A.; Dash, R.; Mamun Sohag, A. A.; Moon, I. S., Deciphering molecular mechanism of the neuropharmacological action of fucosterol through integrated system
pharmacology and in silico analysis. Mar. Drugs 2019, 17, (11).