Name: Professor Dr. Md. Faruq Hasan
Academic Institution: Hajee Mohammad Danesh Science and Technology University,
Research Field: Applied Social Science, Agricultural Extension.
Research Interest: Sustainable Agricultural and Rural Development, Social Policies,
Personal Website: https://hstu.ac.bd/teacher/faruq
ResearchGate profile: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Md-Faruq-Hasan
Short Biography: Dr. Md. Faruq Hasan is serving as a Professor in the Department of
Agricultural Extension, Hajee Mohammad Danesh Science and Technology University,
Dinajpur. He has completed his B.Sc. Hons. in Agriculture and M.Sc. in Agricultural
Extension Education from Bangladesh Agricultural University, Mymensingh. Dr. Hasan has
achieved his Ph.D. degree from the Osaka School of International Public Policy, Osaka
University, Japan in 2012. His research interests include sustainable agricultural and rural
development, social policies, agricultural development, livelihood improvement through
capacity development, food security and climate change, and so on. Around 38 research papers
were published in different prestigious journals like International Public Policy Studies, Small-
scale Forestry, etc. He has been receiving grants from different government and non-
government organizations for conducting research to formulate national agricultural extension
policies throughout Bangladesh. He is the author of a book named, ‘Research Methodology in
Social Sciences’ which is now a part of the curriculum for the postgraduate students of the
Department of Agricultural Extension, HSTU. He has been actively involved in developing the
capacity of the students through providing different courses i.e., SPSS, Research methodology
workshop, etc. He works in collaboration with IAAS Bangladesh HSTU, providing different
resourceful workshops and sessions which help students in preparing meaningful careers in the
1. Acted as Supervisor of 40 MS students and 2 Ph.D. fellows and as co-supervisor of 30 MS
students and 1 Ph.D. fellow.
2. Completed 16 research projects funded by different national and international agencies.
3. Participated and presented research articles in 6 international conferences.
3. Participated in different workshops, and training programs on ‘Research Methodology’,
‘Data Analysis using SPSS’, ‘Curriculum Development’, and ‘Teaching and Learning’.
Institutional contact: Professor, Department of Agricultural Extension, Hajee Mohammad
Danesh Science and Technology University, Dinajpur-5200, Bangladesh
Awards and Recognition:
1. Fellowship for participation in 5th Lindau Nobel Laureates Meeting on Economic
2. Japanese Government Scholarship (Monbukagakusho: MEXT), 2010-2012
3. Japan Student Services Organization (JASSO) scholarship, 2009-2010
4. Mamoru Shigemitsu award of Japan, 2009
5. RDRS Research Fellowship, 2004
1. Hanif, M.A., M.T. Roy, M.S. Bari, P.C. Ray, M.S. Rahman and M.F. Hasan. May,
2018. Livelihood Improvements Through Agroforestry: Evidence from Northern
Bangladesh. Small-scale Forestry.
2. Imai, K.I., M.F. Hasan and E. Porreca. 2015. Do Agricultural Extension Programmes
Reduce Poverty and Vulnerability? Farm Size, Agricultural Productivity and Poverty in
Uganda. Discussion Paper No. DP2015-06, Research Institute for Economics and
Business Administration, Kobe University, Japan.
3. Muhammad, N., M.A.S. Mondol and M.F. Hasan. 2015. Effectiveness of Union
Information and Service Center in Utilization of Farm Information. International
Journal of Agricultural Extension. 3(1): 37-45.
4. Hasan, M.F. 2011. Impact of Agricultural Extension on Productivity: Econometric
Analysis using Household Data in India. International Public Policy Studies. 16(1):
5. Hasan, M.F. 2008. Economic Efficiency and Constraints of Maize Production in the
Northern Region of Bangladesh. Journal of Innovation and Development Strategy.