Dr. Md. Ismail Tareque
Designation: Professor; Academic Institution: University of Rajshahi, Rajshahi
Research Field: Health Expectancy, Public Health
Research Interest: Health Expectancy, Mortality, Disability, Active Aging, Intimate Partner Violence, Demography, Public Health etc.
Personal Website: http://www.ru.ac.bd/populationsc/details/?sid=22801966
Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=bpcialYAAAAJ&hl=en
Professor, Department of Population Science and Human Resource Development, University of Rajshahi, Rajshahi-6205, Bangladesh
Dr. Tareque is a Professor at the Department of Population Science and Human Resource Development, University of Rajshahi (RU), Bangladesh. He has been a Visiting Senior Research Fellow at the Centre for Ageing Research and Education (CARE), Duke-NUS Medical School, Singapore in 2018. He received his BSc (Hons.) and MSc in Population Science and Human Resource Development from University of Rajshahi, Bangladesh, and PhD in Public Health from Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Japan. He also successfully completed a course at the International Max Planck Research School for Demography (Germany) and participated in training workshops at the Australian National University (Australia), RAND Corporation (USA), Rajshahi University of Engineering & Technology (Bangladesh), Chulalongkorn University (Thailand), and Duke-NUS Medical School (Singapore). His areas of research cover health expectancy, mortality, disability, population ageing, intimate partner violence and public health. He was the lead author in several research articles published in internationally peer-reviewed journals such as PLoS One, BMC Geriatrics, BMC Psychiatry, Ageing and Society, BMC Public Health, Asian Population Studies, Research on Aging, Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics, Journal of Aging and Health, Journal of Interpersonal Violence, etc. In 2017, he was the youngest teacher to receive RU’s prestigious award, the “Dean’s Award” for his work.
- Tareque, M. I., Tiedt, A. D., Islam, T. M., Begum, S. and Saito, Y.: Gender differences in functional disability and self-care among seniors in Bangladesh. BMC Geriatrics, 17: 177; 2017
- Tareque, M. I., Koshio, A., Tiedt, A. D. and Hasegawa, T.: Are the rates of hypertension and diabetes higher in people from lower socioeconomic status in Bangladesh? Results from a nationally representative survey. PLoS One, 10(5): e0127954, 2015
- Tareque, M. I., Islam, T. M., Kawahara, K., Sugawa, M. and Saito, Y.: Healthy life expectancy and the correlates of self-rated health in an ageing population in Rajshahi district of Bangladesh. Ageing and Society, 35(5): 1075-1094, 2015
- Tareque, M. I., Ahmed, M. M., Tiedt, A. D. and Hoque, N.: Can an active aging index (AAI) provide insight into reducing elder abuse? A case study in Rajshahi district, Bangladesh. Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics, 58(3): 399-407, 2014
- Tareque, M. I., Begum, S. and Saito, Y.: Gender differences in disability-free life expectancy at old ages in Bangladesh. Journal of Aging and Health, 25(8): 1299-1312, 2013