Dr. Muhammad Manjurul Karim
Academic Institution: Department of Microbiology, University of Dhaka, Dhaka
Research Field: Molecular Biology, Microbiology
- Probiotic Technology: application in shrimp industries and fish aquaculture
- Plant Growth Promoting Rhizobacteria: application under changing climate conditions
- Recombinant gene products: application in biotech industries
- In vitro diagnostics of neglected tropical diseases
Professor, Department of Microbiology, University of Dhaka, Dhaka 1000
Professor of Microbiology, University of Dhaka, Bangladesh | PhD in Biomolecular Sciences, University of Manchester, UK | Post-doc Fellow, McGill University, Canada | Trained in Molecular Biology | Research methodology, analysis of data, statistics and Bioinformatics | Science movement through Global Young Academy (GYA) and National Young Academy Bangladesh (NYAB) | Youth development activities through the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award Foundation, Bangladesh | Member, National Fish Health Management Strategy, Bangladesh | General Secretary, Global Network of Bangladeshi Biotechnologists (GNOBB) | Member, Executive Committee, Asian Federation of Biotechnology |
Honours and Awards
- Third World Academy of Sciences (TWAS) 2007 young scientist
- Bangladesh Academy of Sciences (BAS) Gold Medal Prize 2007
- University Grants Commission of Bangladesh (UGC) Award 2006
- NIH Fellowship for doing post-doc in the Dept. of Biochemistry, McGill University, Montreal, Canada
- Charles Wallace William trust fund and UMIST studentship for doing Ph.D. at UMIST, Manchester, UK
- Dean’s Honours award, University of Dhaka, Dhaka, 1995
- Best Cadet Award from Pabna Cadet College, Pabna, Bangladesh, 1988
- Chakrabarty RP and Karim MM. 2018. Anaerobic Bacteria in Oral Cavities and Dental Health. Annals of Dentistry University of Malaya, 25 (1) 11-16
- Khatun M, Alam SMA, Khan AH, Hossain MA, Haq JA, Jilani MSA, Rahman MT and Karim MM. 2017. The novel PCR primers to diagnose Visceral Leishmaniasis using peripheral blood, spleen or bone marrow aspirates. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Medicine. 10 (8) 753-759.
- Hossain FE, Ramim AM, Rahman MS, Faruque AMO, Naser MN and Karim MM. 2017. Identification of bacterial agents causing mortality in post-larvae of giant freshwater prawn (Macrobrachium rosenbergii) in southwest coastal districts of Bangladesh. Aquaculture Research, 48 (7) 3545-3555
- Karim MM, Svitkin Y, Kahvejian A, DeCrescenzo G, Costa-Mattioli M and Sonenberg N. 2006. A mechanism of translational repression by competition of Paip2 with eIF4G for poly(A) binding protein (PABP) binding. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. USA, 103(25): 9494-
- Karim MM, Hughes JMX, Warwicker J, Scheper GC, Proud CG and McCarthy JEG. 2001. A quantitative molecular model for modulation of mammalian translation by the eIF4E-binding protein 1. Journal of Biological Chemistry. 276 (23) 20750-20757.
- Ptushkina M, von der Haar, T, Karim MM, Hughes JMX and McCarthy JEG. 1999. Repressor binding to a dorsal regulatory site traps human eIF4E in a high cap-affinity state. EMBO Journal 18 (14) 4068-4075.
- Hughes JMX, Ptushkina M, Karim MM, Koloteva N, von der Haar T and McCarthy JEG. 1999. Translational repression by human 4E-BP1 in yeast specifically requires human eIF4E as target. Journal of Biological Chemistry 274 (8) 3261-3264.
- Qadri F, Ahmed F, Karim MM, Wenneras C, Begum YA, Salam MA, Albert MJ and McGhee JR. 1999. Lipopolysaccharide and cholera toxin-specific subclass distribution of B-cell response in cholera. Clinical and Diagnostic Laboratory Immunology. 6 (6) 812-818.